Sunday, February 7, 2010

French Style...Omelets???

Today truly seemed like the first day of spring (CA spring, that is). Gorgeous sunshine, trees beginning to bud, and the sudden realization that after being closed up all winter my house is utterly filthy. So what better way to celebrate "spring" then by a wild scrubbing/sweeping/mopping frenzy? And what better to follow up a scrubbing/sweeping/mopping frenzy then an omelet brunch? Today I decided to try and learn omelets the "Julia Child" way. Growing up I learned to make them the slower, let-the-eggs-coagulate-over-moderate-heat, douse with cheese/tomatoes/avocado/mushrooms, etc, then flip one half over the other - way. And I learned to take them off soon enough so that they don't dry out and become leathery like the ones so many restaurants serve. And this, in my opinion, is still a great way to make them. And I am definitely NOT a fan of souffle-style omelets. BUT a few weeks ago I had my first properly executed simple French-style omelet (at one of our favorite brunch spots, Bette's Diner in Berkeley; I highly recommend their sour cream pancakes, their chicken sweet potato sausage - if they have it - and their bloody marys!), a simple herb and cheese one, and it was SOOO GOOOD. It didn't hurt that it was 2:00 and I had been climbing all morning and hadn't eaten a thing all day...but still. They are like soft scrambled eggs in a tight little package.



So I read the omelet section of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and then found this amazing video of Julia Child cooking omelets on "The French Chef." She's adorable. And she makes it look very very easy. And I thought it would be. And honestly, if I had had a truly non-stick pan, and not my overly-worn-out, scratched-up, probably-not-safe-to-be-used-anymore poor excuse for a pan (and yes, it's currently my ONLY frying pan...) then I might have been able to do it. I need a new one, but hey, good pan's are expensive. I'm going to have to practice the jerky motion that rolls the omelet over (my technique had too much 'flip' to it), and next time I think I need to turn up the heat even higher; but really, the sticking was the main problem.

That being said, although my result wasn't as pretty as Julia's, it was soft, perfectly done, and delicious. It just didn't stick together like it was supposed to; it was like a cross between an omelet and soft-scrambled eggs. I threw some fresh parsley in with the eggs - and not just any parsley, but parsley I started growing last spring, trimmed back last fall, and which continued to produce small parsley leaves throughout the winter and is NOW all of a sudden going strong again. Amazing. Apparently parsley can survive on cold, hard neglect.



I also added a sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese (none of that yellow/orange stuff, thank you), some chopped chives, and served it with a clementine tangerine, some sliced avocado (amazingly there are still some CA avocados at my market; most come from far away this time of year) and yummy toasted Crankin loaf - toasted - from Feel Good Bakery.

Although it didn't quite go as planned the first time, I'm definitely going to hone this technique. It makes omelets SO quick and easy. But I will not be posting the video David took of me making omelets today. I'll leave it to your imagination. (hint: that point in Julia's video where the eggs magically held together as she swirled and then jerked the pan? Yeah, that didn't happen. I had to push it all together with a spatula. Huh.)



French Style Herb and Cheese Omelet
(Adapted from Mastering The Art of French Cooking)

2-3 eggs
1 TB of fresh chopped herbs (I used parsley)
1-2 TB of lightly grated sharp cheddar or other cheese
1 TB of butter
salt & pepper
chopped chives for garnish



Beat together eggs, herbs, salt and pepper until whites and yolks just mixed.
Have cheese, chives, and any other garnishes ready.

Heat pan on high heat; add 1 TB of butter - it should bubble immediately - and wait until foam has just subsided. Then add eggs. Let sit for 2-3 seconds; eggs should be bubbling and forming one mass.

Throw on your cheese - if you choose - and then quickly swirl eggs together once or twice; then jerk the pan, hard, towards you, several times, forcing the omelet to turn over on itself. Turn pan upside down onto plate, leaving omelet bottom-up on the plate. Garnish and serve.

(I suggest watching the video I linked above...it's very helpful!)


~Happy Eating~

1 comment: